Hostapd Multicast Group Key Issue on PowerPC vs x86

Damon Southworth damon at cloudydaze.homeip.net
Tue May 5 05:21:46 EDT 2009

Jouni Malinen wrote:

>> The problem is related to the group key as when the connection is
>> authenticated multicast messages come straight through on the x86 box
>> but do not come through on the PowerPC box until a group key re-key
>> takes place which is 600 seconds by default. A dirty workaround would be
>> to drop the group re-key time but there is still a delay and the side
>> affect of constant group re-keying.
>
> This could have something to do with the byte order of the RSC in the
> initial group keys. Are you using WPA or WPA2? TKIP or CCMP?

Hostapd is configured for WPA (wpa=1). I have left the selection of
TKIP/CCMP unspecified (default). The client can also select either. In
this configuration I suppose I would expect it to select TKIP which does
appear to be the case.

> I would like to see both the configuration and detailed debug logs to
> see whether there is anything visible there as far as configuring the
> GTK is concerned.

Attached.

>> Recent versions of the main components were used:
>> 	Hostapd 0.6.9
>> 	Wpasupplicant 0.6.4
>> 	madwifi 0.9.4
>> 	kernel 2.6.28.8
>
> Is the same kernel/driver used for both the AP and client? Is PowerPC
> used only in the AP and client is x86?

Clients are always x86 and use the same kernel and Madwifi drivers. It
is only the AP which is changing between PowerPC and x86.