No higher priority for WPA

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Feb 20 21:01:30 EST 2008

I have the following problem: a café near my office has a free hotspot
that works just fine, but it's sufficiently close that wpa-supplicant
thinks it can reach my office's network instead.

This is presumably because my office's network uses WPA-EAP and
wpa-supplicant gives precedence to WPA networks.

The worst part is that the signal is actually not good enough to really
connect to my office's network: wpa-supplicant occasionally manages to
do some part of the authentication, but rarely completes it and when it
does complete it, the subsequent DHCP request fails anyway.

OTOH I don't want to put the open hotspot on a higher priority.
Basically, I want wpa-supplicant to try whichever of the two networks
has the best signal.  Any idea?

        Stefan