No higher priority for WPA

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Feb 20 22:16:54 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:01:30PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> OTOH I don't want to put the open hotspot on a higher priority.
> Basically, I want wpa-supplicant to try whichever of the two networks
> has the best signal.  Any idea?

The current version does not support this since it has a hardcoded
preference for secure networks over open ones regardless of the signal
strength. It would be possible to modify this by changes
wpa_supplicant_select_bss() function to select the network in one pass
instead of first WPA-enabled and only after that non-WPA networks.

In general, I'm not sure I would like to do this, though.. Obviously the
case you mentioned is not ideal and it would be better to use the open
network if it is clear that the WPA network does not have strong enough
signal to be of any use. However, that is not trivial thing to figure
out in a generic way. Some kind of point system that uses combination of
network security and signal strength to figure out the best choice could
be nice here..