utf-8 under windows (was: ascii code into identity field)

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Aug 8 12:08:35 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 08:34:47PM +0200, Sergio wrote:

> I'm running a cross-compiled version of wpa_supplicant 0.6.3. I know
> linux use UTF-8 for internal processing and wpa_supplicant under linux
> works ok for me. Also i know that windows not use UTF-8 for internal
> processing and because of this, my Identity field into configuration
> file is creating me problems with an accent. Changing the format type
> with notepad not works, because the parsing fails at the end of network
> block (incredible):

Could you please me an example configuration file showing this parsing
failure? wpa_supplicant does not really care about the encoding of the
identity field, i.e., it is just sent out as arbitrary binary data. If
you can figure out how to make a working configuration file in Linux,
you should be able to just copy that to Windows, too.. In addition, you
can set the identity value as a hex string (identity=68656c6c6f); of
course this is assuming that you know what binary data the
authentication server expects to see.