wpa_supplicant 0.4.6 + ipw2200 1.0.8 , ieee80211 - 1.1.15 , kernel 2.6.16 (RHEL4U2)

Radu Brumariu radu at cs.kent.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:41:16 EST 2005

Pedro Ramalhais wrote:

>Radu Brumariu wrote:
>

>>Thank you very much, that worked.
>>But why ? Isn't it supposed to work with the ipw driver ?
>>
>>Thanks again,
>>Radu
>>

>>>Use -Dwext instead of -Dipw
>>>

>The ipw drivers support the kernel wireless interface for WPA if the
>kernel has wireless extensions version 18. Kernels since 2.6.13 have
>version 18, so when you compile against these kernels, it will enable
>the kernel interface and disable the "old" ipw specific interface.

Ok, so if I understand this right, after the 2.6.13, no matter what
wireless board I have, as long as I compile the drivers for the board
and the wext module I should use the wext.
What is the lowest version of ipw for which the wpa_supplicant will
work, given that I have a kernel lower than 2.6.13 ?

Regards,
Radu