wpa_supplicant 0.4.6 + ipw2200 1.0.8 , ieee80211 - 1.1.15 , kernel 2.6.16 (RHEL4U2)

Pedro Ramalhais ramalhais at serrado.net
Tue Nov 8 10:34:15 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 09:41 -0500, Radu Brumariu wrote:
> Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
>
> >Radu Brumariu wrote:
> >

> >>Thank you very much, that worked.
> >>But why ? Isn't it supposed to work with the ipw driver ?
> >>
> >>Thanks again,
> >>Radu

> >The ipw drivers support the kernel wireless interface for WPA if the
> >kernel has wireless extensions version 18. Kernels since 2.6.13 have
> >version 18, so when you compile against these kernels, it will enable
> >the kernel interface and disable the "old" ipw specific interface.
> >

> Ok, so if I understand this right, after the 2.6.13, no matter what
> wireless board I have, as long as I compile the drivers for the board
> and the wext module I should use the wext.
> What is the lowest version of ipw for which the wpa_supplicant will
> work, given that I have a kernel lower than 2.6.13 ?
>
> Regards,
> Radu

I think you didn't understand what i said. Maybe i didn't explain myself
very well.
The ipw drivers choose to disable the "old" driver specific interface in
the presence of a kernel which supports WPA features (WE18 are present
on kernels >= 2.4.13). If you use older kernels to compile the driver,
it will include the ipw interface, else it will include the kernel
interface.
Hope this clarifies it.

Regards,
--