porting to world radio chips from conexant

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue May 17 22:38:49 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:39:59AM -0400, alfred hitch wrote:

> I intend to port the wpa supplicant to conexant workd radio chips.

Are you planning on making this available under an open source license?

> 2) The current driver we have doesnt supports wireless extensions, so
> I also intend to leave the driver that ways and map the stuff in wpa
> supplicant driver file. README mentions that wireless extensions
> support is optional, and I am inclined to believe so (for my good)
> -;) .
> Anyone conform that there are no hidden surprises / pitfalls in not
> using wireless extension calls ?

As long as you are willing to implement the driver interface code
(driver_*.c) in wpa_supplicant, you do not need to use Linux wireless
extensions. As an example, driver_broadcom.c does not use wireless
extensions.

> 3) I could see api's for setting keys and other ie,.capability etc ..
> from supplicant to driver,
> but I some how missed where / how does the authentication /
> association time handshake messages flow from driver to supplicant,
> what all messages from driver I need to provide to supplicant ??

All data frames (i.e., EAPOL packets) need to be provided to supplicant.
In addition to this, you will need to generate association events
(wpa_supplicant_event() calls with EVENT_ASSOC parameter. Depending on
the driver/firmware implementation, you may have to generate
EVENT_ASSOCINFO events to get WPA IE information from the AssocReq (if
driver/firmware generated it). In addition, wpa_supplicant needs to be
able to get WPA IE from Beacon/ProbeResp frames through the scan
results.