wpa_supplicant associates but dhcpcd cannot get IP address

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Feb 6 18:41:04 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 04:54:19PM -0500, Craig L wrote:

> Starting ath0 [ok]
>      Starting wpa_supplicant on ath0 ...
>      /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf must set
>      ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant [!!]

I would assume this is something from Gentoo scripts, since I haven't
seen it before.

> And when I uncomment that line:
>
> Starting ath0 [ok]
>      Starting wpa_supplicant on ath0 ...
> Line 1: Invalid configuration line 'ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant'.
> Failed to read configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'. [!!]

Looks like your wpa_supplicant is built without support for the control
interface. If you add CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE=y to .config when building
wpa_supplicant this should work.

> the site. And here's the funny thing... If I comment out that
> particular line in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and execute it in the
> command line, it works perfectly without any complaints, dhcpcd grabs
> an IP and wpa_supplicant daemonizes. Weird, huh? It's not that
> pressing of an issue, I don't mind executing my script 'wlan-home' by
> hand everytime I need to use it (for now.)

That's odd.. I need to test the Gentoo start up scripts a some point
with madwifi driver.