wpa_sup & hostap kernel driver

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Sat Dec 17 06:56:28 EST 2005

Hi List,
I've been happily using hostap driver and wpa_sup for over a year now.  My
distro (Fedora 4) recently put out a kernel with the hostap driver compiled
in (no more source builds, good - I thought...) - 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4.netdev.2.

However, wpa_sup no longer seems to talk to the driver - if I insert my card
(Allied Telesyn AT-WCL452) with out wpa_sup running I seem to get a good
connection, but as soon as I start wpa_sup (or, if running in background
prior to insertion) the connection is dropped.

Thinking there may be something flaky between the particular wpa_sup version
I was using and the kernel hostap driver, I tried a number of wpa_sup
versions.  The outputs are below.

Any help much appreciated.
Regards,
Morgan.

First with v. 0.3.8, then as indicated:

# wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
Could not configure driver to use managed mode
ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
Waiting for interface..
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
Waiting for interface..
l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Operation not supported
Failed to initiate AP scan.

#############################
[root at morgansmachine wpa_supplicant-0.4.7]# wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w
Line 1: Invalid configuration line 'ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant'.
Line 2: Invalid configuration line 'ctrl_interface_group=100'.
Failed to read configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
[root at morgansmachine wpa_supplicant-0.4.7]# wpa_cli status
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
[root at morgansmachine wpa_supplicant-0.4.7]#

#############################
[root at morgansmachine wpa_supplicant-0.2.7]# wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
Waiting for interface..
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
Waiting for interface..
ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
Waiting for interface..
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: No such device
ioctl[SIOCSIWSCAN]: No such device
Failed to initiate AP scan.
l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Operation not supported
Failed to initiate AP scan.
l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down
l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down
Signal 2 received - terminating
[root at morgansmachine wpa_supplicant-0.2.7]#

--
Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND

get a life; GET FIREFOX!