Turning off some or all kernel log messages

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Nov 3 22:44:08 EST 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 01:20:44PM -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:

> wifi0: STA 00:0d:88:51:61:3a TX rate lowered to 20
>
> Sometimes those messages are all that's output by dmesg. Is there any way to
> quiet down the verbosity of HostAP logging?i

Sure.. You have the source code.. ;-)

It should be ok to just comment out the PDEBUG() and printk() calls that
you do not consider useful. This particular one could, however, be
removed from the default build anyway..

> I looked for both a module
> parameter and a Makefile option, but I couldn't find any way to change the
> verbosity of logging.

This is build time only.. You can remove PDEBUG() messages by defining
PRISM2_NO_DEBUG, e.g, in hostap_config.h. This may also still work from
the command line:

make EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DPRISM2_NO_DEBUG"