Broadcast of SSID is required for wpa_supplicant?

Giridhar Pemmasani giri at lmc.cs.sunysb.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:42:48 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:10:17 -0300 (ADT), Donald Teed <dteed at artistic.ca> said:

  Donald> A developer of ndiswrapper indicated that SSID broadcast on
  Donald> the AP is required for wpa_supplicant to work.  I need to
  Donald> determine if that is true, as I don't know if we can deploy
  Donald> it in that case (assuming we could solve the other
  Donald> problems).

If you are quoting me, that is not what I said. I said "they should
broadcast for ndiswrapper + wpa_supplicant to work" (if you need
clarification, I have IRC logs).

NDIS documentation that I could lay my hands on doesn't explain how
scan can return stations that don't broadcast ssid. It mentions that
the scan OID (OID_802_11_BSSID_LIST_SCAN) uses SSID, ScanType etc.,
but I don't know how to pass that information to NDIS.

If anyone knows how to do it, let me know. Until this is done,
ndiswrapper won't be able to work with stations that don't broadcast
ssid.

--
Giri