Broadcast of SSID is required for wpa_supplicant?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Aug 25 11:13:49 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:10:17PM -0300, Donald Teed wrote:

> A developer of ndiswrapper indicated that SSID broadcast
> on the AP is required for wpa_supplicant to work.  I need to
> determine if that is true, as I don't know if we
> can deploy it in that case (assuming we could solve
> the other problems).

wpa_supplicant does not have such a requirement. However, the
driver/driver interface code may require some additional support for
this. Hidden SSID (no SSID in beacon frames) works fine with Host AP
driver. ndiswrapper interface does not seem to implement per-SSID scan,
so it is not likely to work without some (maybe minor) changes. Please
also note that you will have to set scan_ssid=1 in wpa_supplicant.conf
for this kind of mode.