Module versioning with 2.5.x kernels is OK

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 26 13:02:09 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 03:49:28PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I have successfully compiled hostap against Linux 2.5.69-bk18 with module
> versioning enabled.  I can load and unload modules without any problems.
> No changes were needed.

I have found module versioning causing too much problems and have
disabled it from most kernels I use.. Anyway, it is good to know that it
works.

> I hope this will speed up the release of the next version.  There are too
> many problem reports about version 0.0.3.

Well.. I released v0.0.3 so that I could start making larger changes
that can potential break things and will need more testing. And yes, I
have already committed such changes. Using old build system ('make
pccard') should still work with v0.0.3 when compiling for 2.4.x or
2.2.x. In addition, Host AP Makefile changes after v0.0.3 already broke
building for Linux 2.2.x (should be fixed now), so I think these changes
should anyway be tested with more combinations before making a new
release.