station firmware flshing problems

John Hampton pacopablo at pdxlug.org
Mon May 19 23:20:54 EDT 2003

Pavel Roskin said:
> It seems you don't understand the meaning or the "-r" option.  It's
> explained if you run prism2_srec without arguments.

OK, I misspoke.  I did understand the meaning of the -r option.  I know
that it only downloads it into RAM and it's temporary. That was
intentional.  The thing that struck me as weird was that the station
firmware varsion was being rest after starting up hostapd.  Correct me if
I'm wrong, but I don't believe that that is proper behavior.  It's my
understanding that once I do a prism2_srec -r blah ... that the card
should retain the station firmware version until the next reboot.  This it
was not doing, and I believe is the root of my problem.

>> PDR 0x0486 not found from wlan card PDA. Using default data. len=2: 64
>> 00
>
> This is usually safe.  I recall that Intersil doesn't require that all
> PDRs have corresponding PDA data and vice versa.  Only mismatch in the
> length should be considered fatal.

Thanks, that's good to know

> You really should upgrade if you are going to flash the firmware, as
> opposed to loading the firmware into the card's RAM that you have been
> doing so far.

I still don't have any plans on actually flashing the card (maybe I'll get
brave one day) but I am upgrading to see if that will solve the problem.
The thing that stikes the strangest is that it USED to work :)  Thanks for
the help though.