Deauthentication of inactive STA causes a error

Jiri Fojtasek jiri.fojtasek at hlohovec.net
Thu Jun 26 14:39:40 EDT 2003

Hello Jouni

Iam trying to solve problem with random disassociatoin of my WDS clients
(in cause of few minutes not responding from my WDS clients). I have
done for this reason  a patch that that give me for this reason more
detailed informations about the "Could not find STA for this TX error"
error message ...

I have found that the deauthentication frame always followed by this
message:

wlan0: STA 00:02:72:00:0f:f8 did not ACK activity poll frame
wlan0: sending disassociation info to STA
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2189385, jiffies=2219485)
wlan0: sending deauthentication info to STA
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2189385, jiffies=2219585)
wlan0: Could not find STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx for this TX error
(jiffies=2219585)

(xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is mac of the STA being deauthenticated)

I think it mean that deauth frame is not sent ...

I have took a deep look for this problem, and have found that in the
hostap_ap.c, exactly in the ap_handle_timer function is imediatly after
sending the deauth frame is the sta dealocated by ap_free_sta, so i
think the delivery od the deauth frame must fail ...

I think the solution should be by calling  the "ap_free_sta" in next
sheduled of the "ap_handle_timer" event .

PS: I had the same problem before you fix the activity pooling ...

Jiri