Deauthentication of inactive STA causes a error

Jiri Fojtasek jiri.fojtasek at hlohovec.net
Thu Jun 26 15:05:43 EDT 2003

Jiri Fojtasek wrote:

> Hello Jouni
>
> Iam trying to solve problem with random disassociatoin of my WDS
> clients (in cause of few minutes not responding from my WDS clients).
> I have done for this reason  a patch that that give me for this reason
> more detailed informations about the "Could not find STA for this TX
> error" error message ...
>
> I have found that the deauthentication frame always followed by this
> message:
>
> wlan0: STA 00:02:72:00:0f:f8 did not ACK activity poll frame
> wlan0: sending disassociation info to STA
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2189385, jiffies=2219485)
> wlan0: sending deauthentication info to STA
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2189385, jiffies=2219585)
> wlan0: Could not find STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx for this TX error
> (jiffies=2219585)
>
> (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is mac of the STA being deauthenticated)
>
> I think it mean that deauth frame is not sent ...
>
> I have took a deep look for this problem, and have found that in the
> hostap_ap.c, exactly in the ap_handle_timer function is imediatly
> after sending the deauth frame is the sta dealocated by ap_free_sta,
> so i think the delivery od the deauth frame must fail ...
>
> I think the solution should be by calling  the "ap_free_sta" in next
> sheduled of the "ap_handle_timer" event .
>
> PS: I had the same problem before you fix the activity pooling ...
>
> Jiri

Next proof . Txexc event is called in next jiffies:

wlan0: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx did not ACK activity poll frame
wlan0: sending disassociation info to STA
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2360077, jiffies=2390177)
wlan0: sending deauthentication info to STA
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(last=2360077, jiffies=2390277)
wlan0: Could not find STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx for this TX error
(jiffies=2390278)

Jiri