Performance degradation with WEP enabled

Jihong Kim jkim at ndosatech.com
Tue Jan 28 19:54:17 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using hostap-2002-10-12.tar.gz
<http://hostap.epitest.fi/releases/hostap-2002-10-12.tar.gz> .

I tested the throughput with the host AP (on Redhat Linux 7.2).

With open system (no encryption), I got about 4.7 Mbps (GUI,
daemons/processes are turned off).  When they were on, the throughput
was about 4 Mbps.

With WEP (encryption) enabled, the highest I got was about 2.7 Mbps,
when GUI and other daemons/processes were turned off.  (With GUI and
other daemons/processes running in the background, the throughput was
about 600 Kbps.)

I believe this is due to the fact that WEP encryption implemented in the
device driver is used instead of the WEP encryption in PRISM MAC chip.

Is there a way to improve the throughput of WLAN with WEP enabled?    Do
you think using a more powerful processor (CPU) will reduce the
performance gap between open system and WEP?

Thanks in advance.

- Jihong