Hostap will load but WILL NOT create the wlan0 interface

Leonardo Pereira Santos lsantos at pd3.com.br
Wed Jan 29 11:16:26 EST 2003

I guess this was not his problem. And the scripts ( /etc/pcmcia )use the
interface name as a parameter.

If the modules was loaded without problems, there should be at least an entry
in /proc/net/dev, so do:
#cat /proc/net/dev

This should show all the net interfaces registered in tghe kernel, these being
the ones you can bring up with ifconfig. One odd behaviour I noticed in my
system was that if I configured /etc/pcmcia/config to load all three modules
(hostap_crypt, hostap and hostap_cs ) upon card insertion, it wouldn't
register the interface in the kernel. I have to load the first two modules
with a insmod at /etc/rc.sysinit and just load hostap_cs upon card insertion.

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 11:14, Martin Polak wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have SuSE 80 with the stock kernel.  I can compile and install the
> > drivers without an error.  I can also get the drivers to load at boot,
> > or if i hotplug the pcmcia card (wpc11).
> >
> > My problem is that it wont create the "wlan0" interface.  and I havent
> > been able to figure out how to create it manually.  The drivers seem
> > to load fine, now, but no interface to give an IP to...  any ideas?
> > anyone??
> >
> > I have been playing with 'ifup' but best i can get from it manually is
> > 'ifup: Could not get a valid interface name: -> skipped'.  Im kinda
> > stuck... I have tried both the CVS and the October release, and both do
> > the same thing.
>
> You could do, what I ve done:
> change the name of the interface, the driver creates:
>
> go to:
> cd <path-to-hostap>/driver/modules/
> grep -n wlan hostap_hw.c
>
> //this should show you the line-numbers where the interface name is
> created: There are two lines:
> xxxx:  sprintf(dev->name, "wlan%d", i++);
> yyyy:  memcpy(dev->name, "wlan%d",7);
>
> open the file hostap_hw.c in an editor and replace this two occurrencies
> with the string "eth", recompile the host_ap driver, and your interface
> will now be called ethX.
>
> Martin

- --
This is Linux country.
On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.

Leonardo Pereira Santos
Engenheiro de Projetos
PD3 Tecnologia
av. Pará 330/202