Issues w/ WDS links in Bridge -- crashes 0.0.4

Brock Eastman brock at digitalpath.net
Wed Aug 6 23:59:20 EDT 2003

Hi All,

We have seen hostap in bridge mode doing wds link crash.  If we have 10 wds
links active and we add an 11th, the ping times and latency
go way up to the point the system is not useful.  I have verified this in
hostap 0.0.4.

We have verified this with two separate systems w/ different hardware.

It has to do with adding the wds device to the bridge.  You can add X number
of links manually through
iwpriv wlan0 wds_add 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and the bridge stays up fine.  Once
you actually add these to the bridge group and activate
them do we have a problem.  It is on the 11th wds device that it always
crashes in the bridge.  Latency goes from 3ms to 500ms + and packet
loss.  However, while the one card does not work in the bridge that we add
the 11th wds link on; the other card sitting in the same bridge
still works fine.  It makes me believe this is a hostap issue because the
bridge still functions on the other card just fine.  If I do iwpriv wlan0
wds_del mac
and remove the device from the bridge things return back to normal.

I am not sure at this point whether this is a bridge issue ( probably not
since bridge hasn't been changed in 1.5 years ) or in hostap.

I have been trying to isolate the event down to a smaller portion of the
code and even looked at the bridge code to find nothing that refernces
10 devices as a buffer in the spanning tree.  According to the ethernet
standard RFC a bridge should be able to have 256 devices or ports attached
w/o a problem.  This is the same for the bridge-utils package and the RFC
for spanning tree protocol.

If anyone else could help shed light on this I would be appreciative.  I
have not been able to reproduce these exact results with hostap 0.0.3 which
makes me believe it is hostap 0.0.4.  I will do some more testing with 0.0.3
and see if I can reproduce the results.

Brock Eastman