[VPN] FreeS/Wan & 3Com Internet Firewall VPN

TKoopman at SonicWALL.com TKoopman at SonicWALL.com
Thu Feb 13 19:16:47 EST 2003

Luca,

If you are using a 3COM Office Connect firewall, then it is an OEM of the SonicWALL firewall.

Depending on the age of the appliance and the firmware version level you have on the 3COM you will have greater or lesser flexibility for the options you mention.

The 3COM device will initially default to Aggressive Mode if it has a dynamically assigned WAN IP address.  It defaults to Main Mode if it has a statically assigned WAN IP.  This is hard coded into the firmware you are probably running.  The latest release of SonicWALL firmware, version 6.4.0.1, allows you to select this as a configurable option.

PFS is a user selectable option on the SonicWALLs/3COM devices.  Again it depends on the age and firmware version.  If you see and Advanced Settings button at the bottom of the VPN>Configure page, then the PFS option is in there.  If you do not see that button, then it is turned off and is not user configurable.  This is user configurable in newer code releases.

If you can email your firmware version directly to me, I may be able to give you some more guidance.

And you can check the online FAQs in both our support system and in the documentation links at www.sonicwall.com

Best Regards

TODD KOOPMAN
Systems Engineer
SonicWALL
tkoopman at sonicwall.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Luca Fornasari [mailto:luca.fornasari at easybit.it]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:58 AM
To: vpn at lists.shmoo.com
Subject: [VPN] FreeS/Wan & 3Com Internet Firewall VPN

Hello list,

does anyone of you already configured a vpn (Tunnel Mode) using a
FreeS/Wan and a 3Com Internet Firewall VPN?
As told by 3Com "it is possible to establish a VPN with FreeS/Wan" but
the problem is that I cant find information and configuration parameters
to set Main/Agressive Mode and PFS on the 3Com.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Have nice time
Luca Fornasari