[VPN] IPSEC or PPTP over Nextel Packetstream Gold

Jim Atherton jim.atherton at netifice.com
Tue Apr 15 17:18:55 EDT 2003

Guess I need to be a little more clear. We use the VPN 3000 concentrator. I
have a laptop. I need to connect to my work environment with my laptop over
some mobile (moving) method. I have the VPN 3000 software client on my PC
and Windows 2000 PPTP (which the VPN 3000 also will allow as a client). I
have a Nextel phone. I noticed that Nextel has a mobile connectivity
solution (Packetstream gold) and tried about 6 months ago to make it work.
It didn't. There is an old thread somewhere on this server that states that
Motorola's compression hardware used by Nextel did not support IPSEC
compression (this was during the summer of 2002) but that it would in late
2002. I am trying to find info about whether or not it does now (Nextel has
no clue and noone at Nextel (that I can reach) knows anything about the
technical details of this product Packetstream Gold. Also would accept
alternative cost effective methods (have to approach at least 28.8 speeds).
This is an interesting area that noone seems to have a clue about. Since my
company resells various VPN solutions nationwide, I have a feeling at least
of the potential for this as a product and am a little surprised that noone
has filled this gap.