[vpn] Transparent bridging over Cisco VPN?

Jim Dueltgen jimd at lmi.net
Thu Jun 20 21:16:21 EDT 2002

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not the Cisco 3000-series
VPN servers (or any other VPN concentrator you're familiar with)
support protocol-transparent bridging to remote hardware clients,
such as the Cisco 806 Broadband router or the VPN 3002 Hardware
Client.  The literature for the 806 seems to suggest it's possible at
that end but I can't find anything one way or the other on the
3000-series.  The question is being driven by the need to support
Appletalk over a VPN sooner than all the end-users can reasonably
upgrade to OS X which would eliminate the need to use Appletalk and
transparent bridging.  I've done this in point-to-point applications
with low-end FlowPoint/Efficient DSL routers but that won't work for
us in this situation.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,

- Jim Dueltgen
   LMi.net