[vpn] MD5 vs. SHA

Christopher Gripp cgripp at axcelerant.com
Thu Jun 20 19:18:34 EDT 2002

As found in "Applied Crypto"

SHA is MD4 with the addition of an expand transformation, an extra round and better avalanche effect
MD5 is MD4 with improved bit hashin, an extra round and better avalanche effect

There are no known cryptographic attacks against SHA.  Because it produces a 160 bit hash, it is more resistant to brute-force attacks (including birthday attacks) than a 128 bit hash function.

Christopher Gripp
Systems Engineer
Axcelerant

"To be unhappy over what one lacks is to waste what one already possesses."