[vpn] newbie setting up vpn

Scott Penno scott.penno at gennex.com.au
Mon Jun 17 03:57:10 EDT 2002

Hi Nate,

>From what you're describing, you're attempting to setup a
VPN from the WinXP client on a private network in office B
to a Win2K host on a private network in office A.  As these
are Windows boxes, I'm guessing that you're using IPSec.  Is
this correct?
The problem here probably lies with the fact that you're
attempting to use IPSec across a network connection that
involves NAT.  There are a number of incompatibilities
between IPSec and NAT which is why what you're attempting is
not working.  Have a look at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-req
ts-01.txt for more details about this.
Your best bet would be to create the VPN from the routers at
your networks edge, or attempt to obtain public IP addresses
for the hosts you wish to create a VPN between.

Scott.