[vpn] IPSec on LAN w/ Windows 2000 Pro?

Sandy Harris sandy at storm.ca
Sun Jan 13 20:42:24 EST 2002

Mark Spencer wrote:

> I've got a couple Windows 2000 Professional machines at home and was going
> to use them to start playing with IPSec. ...

> To complete this walkthrough, you need the following hardware:
>
> Two computers ...
>
> A Windows 2000 Server domain controller. ...

> Anyone have recommendations on how a beginner should go about setting up
> IPSec on a LAN without having Windows 2000 Server? ...

Have a look at the Samba project, www.samba.org. This is an Open Source
implementation of the SMB (Server Message Block) protocol Microsoft uses
for most Windows services. Samba is widely used for things like file and
printer sharing between Linux and Windows, and works just fine for that.

A machine running Linux and Samba can also replace an NT or 2K domain
controller for some purposes. I don't know the details and in particular
I'm not sure how Samba might interact with Win 2000 IPsec. If you find
out, please post.

Of course you might also consider using an Open Source IPsec server
such as Linux FreeS/WAN (www.freeswan.org) or the IPsec built into
a BSD Unix (www.freebsd.org, www.netbsd.org or www.openbsd.org).

For info on making FreeS/WAN work with Win 2000 IPsec, see:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.94/doc/interop.html#win2k