[vpn] IPSec on LAN w/ Windows 2000 Pro?

Mark Spencer dreadnought at arsenal.net
Sat Jan 12 18:56:45 EST 2002

I've got a couple Windows 2000 Professional machines at home and was going
to use them to start playing with IPSec.  I downloaded the IPSec lab from
Microsoft
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/ipsecsteps.
asp) and was concerned about the prerequisites they have listed:

"This guide is designed as a lab for network and system administrators to
gain understanding and knowledge of how Windows 2000 IPSec works. You can
configure an IP security policy locally on each computer, and then implement
this policy and test the results to see secure network communications.

To complete this walkthrough, you need the following hardware:

Two computers running the Windows 2000 operating system. You can use two
Windows 2000 Professional systems as the domain members, one to act as a
client and the other as a server in the IPSec sense. The two test systems
must be members of the same (or a trusted) domain.

A Windows 2000 Server domain controller.

A LAN or WAN to connect these three computers."

Since I'm not running a W2K Server, and thus am not running a domain in my
home but a workgroup, I gather most of this lab will not apply to me.

Anyone have recommendations on how a beginner should go about setting up
IPSec on a LAN without having Windows 2000 Server?  What I would like to do
at first is secure all communications between the W2K clients at the network
layer, and then move into configuring IPSec on wireless clients as
recommended to me in a prior thread regarding wireless security.

Thanks!

Mark