VPN's Strategic Location?

Eric Vyncke evyncke at CISCO.COM
Mon Apr 30 16:14:24 EDT 2001

Ed,

Just about our encapsulation of IPSec in UDP. AFAIK, it does not change the
security of IPSec per se as it does not change the IKE or IPSec protocols.
It is just to allow NAT traversal, so, it will not change the security or
the placement of the VPN vs the firewall.

Note: if your firewall is also doing NAT, then if you place the VPN3000
behind the firewall, you will need to use the UDP encapsulation (except if
FW-1 can NAT an IKE/IPSec tunnel).

-eric