VPN's Strategic Location?

Tech, Ed Ed.Tech at LC.CA.GOV
Thu Apr 26 15:32:08 EDT 2001

Hello Everyone,
We are in the testing mode of a Cisco VPN 3030 concentrator which seats
behind a CheckPoint Firewall.
Please provide pros and cons of different locations for a VPN concentrator.
Another setup is to have it side by side with a Firewall behind the Internet
router.
What are the pros and cons of this setup as oppose to having the VPN box
seat behind a firewall?
Also, I've read that the Cisco VPN 3030 uses IPSec over UDP.
This is the highest or most secure tunnelling protocol that the VPN 3030 can
implement.
Why is this not as secure as what they call a Native IPSec?
Will IPSec over UDP affects the most secure placement of the VPN 3030?
Please provide your opinions folks.
thanks to everyone,
Ed