ATM and VPN's

Philipp Buehler lists at FIPS.DE
Mon Mar 27 03:15:10 EST 2000

Franco Sabaris, Javier wrote To VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM:
> If you don't trust your ATM carrier, I can't see why you should trust your
> voice carrier, or your point to point circuits provider. So, following the
> same idea, you should encrypt every information (data or voice) that travels
> outside your buildings. Isn't it a bit paranoic?

I see no difference in untrust. Either you use encryption or not.
Outside your premises is "public" and if you have the need, like a bank
or some paranoics :), you will encrypt the data stream. No matter if this
is "your" leased line, FR-link or whatever.
An attacker needs a wiretap anyway, and the overhead to sniff ATM or IP
is nothing against the effort to get the tap.

Btw, paranoic is to say "anything out of a computer has to be
encrypted". ;-)

ciao
--
Philipp Buehler, aka fIpS | BOfH | NUCH | double-p on IRC
When the horse dies, get off.