wpasupplicant and WEP (more info)

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Sun Jan 4 08:12:18 EST 2015

Am 04.01.2015 um 11:28 schrieb Jouni Malinen:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 11:35:16PM +0100, Erich Titl wrote:
>> Hi Jouni
>
> Did you drop the mailing list on purpose?

No, sorry about that.

>> I am using b43
>
> I haven't used that driver myself, so I don't know what to expect from
> its capabilities and current functionality.

OK, I have another card, e.g. ath5k which behaves exactly the same way.
I chose another hardware in the hope WEP would pass this driver.

>> I had to include nl80211 which was left out from the config, now using a
>> freshly compiled wpasupplicant
>
> This looks all fine from wpa_supplciant view point, i.e., I'd debug the
> driver..

Sounds like bad luck. Is WEP done in the driver itself?

Do you have an idea why the dhcp request passes WEP but the dhcp reply
does not?

You can also test WEP with manually configuring this using the
> iw command. I'd assume it would fail in the exact same way as this does
> with wpa_supplicant.

Is wpa_supplicant just a front end to iw, e.g. the driver in the case of
WEP?

Thanks

Erich