Unable to connect to WPA2-Enterprise since 2.4-r1: WPA_ALG_PMK bug?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 10:21:30 EDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-27 at 16:34 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 02:54:00PM +0200, Ralf Ramsauer wrote:
> > After connecting to a WPA2-Enterprise network (wpa_supplicant 2.4-r1,
> > PEAP/MSCHAPv2) I got the following messages in my journal (suspicious
> > line highlighted):
>
> >     *Apr 27 13:45:49 lefay wpa_supplicant[638]: nl80211: Unexpected
> >     encryption algorithm 5*
>
> It looks like this gets printed even when the driver does not support
> vendor extensions for configuring PMK for offloading operations. I guess
> this could be cleaned up a bit by removing that call when the driver did
> not indicate support for it. Anyway, this should not cause any
> difference in behavior since the error from this operation is ignored.
>
> >     Apr 27 13:45:49 lefay NetworkManager[545]: <info>  (wlp3s0):
> >     supplicant interface state: associated -> 4-way handshake
> >     Apr 27 13:46:11 lefay NetworkManager[545]: <warn>  (wlp3s0):
> >     Activation: (wifi) association took too long

This just means that the supplicant failed to associate with the AP
within about 15 - 20 seconds.  Usually we have to dig down into
supplicant debug logs to figure out why.

> I would need to see more details on this to be able to determine what
> happened. Can you run wpa_supplicant manually (i.e., without
> NetworkManager) and add -dd on the command line?

Alternatively, it's fine to run with NetworkManager, you can do this as
root:

mv /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant /
killall -TERM wpa_supplicant
/wpa_supplicant -dddtu  (and redirect to your favorite log file)

After you re-start the supplicant in the last command NM should
automatically attempt to reconnect, and you get all the log output we
need.  To get back to normal you can:

mv /wpa_supplicant /usr/sbin/

and you're good.

(yes, there are dbus commands to change log levels, but not all
distributions enable file logging or have the file in the same place...)

Dan