AW: WPA2-PSK and WPA-EAP together?

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Sep 9 04:23:41 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 09:37:45PM +0000, Conrad Kostecki wrote:
> The SqueezeBox is actually running Linux and has SSH. There is also used wpa_supplicant for Wi-Fi. But it's quite old. The version is 0.6.9. I am afraid, that I won't be able to update this one.
>
> I've created debug logs of hostapd and wpa_supplicant for both cases.
>
> WPA-PSK + WPA-EAP enabled: http://pastebin.com/kR56Vap7 (does not work)

I don't think this is a wpa_supplicant issue; 0.6.9 should work fine
with this type of AP. However, the WLAN driver that is used here seems
to be unable to associate with the AP when requested to use WPA2-PSK.
The success case with WPA2-EAP removed shows that the exact same
sequence from wpa_supplicant requesting connection results in a
successful association, so I'd assume something about the AP's RSN
element information in the EAP+PSK case gets the driver confused. So
yes, looks like this won't be working unless you were able to update
that driver (and potentially firmware) with a fixed one.. In other
words, using two BSSes may be needed to get this working in practice
with that set of station devices.