wpa_supplicant: Experimenting with wifi_display

Mike Auty mike.auty at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 12:15:58 EST 2014

On 06/02/14 14:08, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> As far as I know, it works fine and is used in large number of deployed
> devices.

Ok, that's great news!  I'll work harder at trying to get it all working
then, thanks!  5:)

> The only way I was able to reproduce this was by manually forcing P2P to
> be disabled first. Obviously, wpa_supplicant should not hit segfault in
> such a case and I'll fix that, but anyway, I'm assuming the main reason
> for the issues you are seeing is in P2P not being enabled in the first
> place. Which driver are you using?

Hmmm, my wireless card is listed by lspci as :

Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)

using the kernel Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN (iwlwifi) option with
DVM and MVM firmware support enabled as modules.  The wpa_supplicant has
the following drivers enabled in .config:

ATMEL, HOSTAP, IPW, NDISWRAPPER, NL80211, RALINK, WEXT, WIRED

It has CONFIG_P2P and CONFIG_WIFI_DISPLAY enabled, but does not have
CONFIG_AP, or any of the CONFIG_WPS_* settings enabled.

> You don't need P2P connection for this, but you do need the P2P module
> to be initialized and that will happen only if the driver supports P2P.

Is there any other debugging output I can enable, or anything I can do
to find out which driver's in use, and possibly why the P2P module
wasn't started automatically?  Sorry if my questions are a bit basic or
have an obvious answer, I'm just starting up with the
internals/configuration of wpa_supplicant.  Thanks!

Mike  5:)