wpa_supplicant 1.0 fails to execute the 'up' routines.

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 02:18:58 EST 2014

> http://pureperl.blogspot.fr/2013/01/the-debian-ifupdown-package-and.html

Nice pointer, he has many good ideas for improvement, but some things
stick out like a sore eye:

* he wants to do dependecy management ... we have something for this:
systemd unit files
* he says (rightfully) that if you brought up a dhcp (or
wpa_supplicant) network, change it's configuration to
non-dhcp/non-wpa_supplicant and bring it down, that dhcp-client /
wpa_supplicant isn't stopped. Again, this is a solved problem if you
let systemd bring up/down the interfaces.
* network configuration was and is a wide and deep field, e.g. look at
Cisco Router stuff. It either is simple and cannot handle all cases
and needs shell-plugins. Or it is feature rich, vast and overly
complicated. I don't believe in a one-does-it-all tool.

(last post from me on this subject, as this isn't exactly on-topic for
this list)