wpa_supplicant 1.0 fails to execute the 'up' routines.

Gustav Schaffter gustav.schaffter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 17:05:38 EST 2014

Thanks for replying, Holger.

Your advice of using the -x was a good one. ;-)

I little bit more peekin' an' pokin' tells me that it's probably not a
problem within the /etc/network/if-up.d/wpasupplicant script. (BTW, this
'script' is a symbolic link to the 'real' script file
/etc/wpa_supplicant/ifupdown.sh which I believe is part of the
wpasupplicant suite.)

Anyway, AFAICU the problem lies somewhere in the ifupdown software.

Having read
http://pureperl.blogspot.fr/2013/01/the-debian-ifupdown-package-and.html I
start to understand that ifupdown may not be extremely well maintained
today. (My current version, 0.7.8, includes a copyright statement valid
1999-2007.)

It seems that Kyle Moffett, the author of the Blog entry is (was?) pretty
unhappy with the source code he finally found for ifupdown and that he
intended to do a 'Next Gen' version of ifupdown in Python. Unfortunately,
it looks like his initiative has stalled since about a year ago.

Wonder if I can somehow switch over to use the software in iproute2 instead
of ifupdown?

Anyway, Holger, thanks for your pointers. That was exactly what I needed.

Regards
GuS

P.S. Yes, Raspbian is a 'descendent' of Debian and built explicitly for the
Raspberry Pi computer.