I always need a miracle to connect with iwlwifi

Krishna Chaitanya chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 09:06:16 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Krishna Chaitanya
>> <chaitanya.mgit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Also one more thing you said N900 uses mac80211 and it has no issues, but as
>>> its a embedded device it might running an older kernel where the
>>> handling might be
>>> different, so we need to try with the same kernel you are facing an
>>> issue with the
>>> a driver which advertises IEEE80211_HW_NEED_DTIM_BEFORE_ASSOC.
>>
>> Yes it was running an older kernel, but I just compiled v3.12 and ran
>> it on the N900, and still everything works fine.
>>
>>> (or) if you a have a compilation environment try commenting the advertisement of
>>> IEEE80211_HW_NEED_DTIM_BEFORE_ASSOC in the iwlwifi DVM driver and
>>> try to reproduce the issue.
>>
>> After commenting that flag everything works fine :)

Oh, great. That was just to corner the problem, that means we are not getting
the required beacon  before the association, but we only wait for 1 beacon here
may be we to wait for some number of beacons before giving up the association??

Johannes??

>> What are the next steps?
>
> I tried to add some debugging to see what's going on, and indeed the
> beacon packets are lost, I added debugging as low in the chain as I
> could (iwlagn_rx_reply_rx()), and I don't see them there. However,
> when I enable the monitor mode, I see them. What's going on?

In the captures you shared all the beacons are malformed, so
probably they failed the CRC check. iwlwifi drops all the CRC failed
packets. (doth MVM and DVM)

Not sure how you are receiving the beacons in the monitor mode.
BTW did you tried capturing the beacons in other devices and see if they
are really malformed, or is it just iwlwifi interpreting them wrongly.?