wpa_supplicant sending Response Identity twice

Philipp Jacob philipp.jacob at snom.com
Wed Jul 10 11:40:09 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am connecting with wpa_supplicant to hostapd over a wired connection.
Wireshark shows that wpa_supplicant sends out two EAP packets (Response
Identity). The first one w/o and the second one w/ the identity
information provided in the network section of wpa_supplicant.conf

hostapd takes the first packet for generating the RADIUS request. The
identity information from the second packet won't be used, and thus the
authentication fails.

Is it intended behavior of wpa_supplicant to send out two separate
Response Identity packets? Or is there any setting for controlling this
behavior (maybe on hostapd side)?

I tested the effect of eapol_version=2 in wpa_supplicant.conf: The
version of the second packet is changed, but the first packet w/o
identity information is still sent as before.

Note: I tested with versions 0.6.10 and 0.7.3 because I'm tied to an old
toolchain.

Philipp

  *   Join our Partner program: http://www.snom.com/partner<http://www.snom.com/partners>
  *   Subscribe to our snom support RSS Feed<http://wiki.snom.com/wiki/index.php?title=RSS&action=feed&feed=rss> and get first-hand technical news about snom products, e.g. Firmware updates, FAQ updates, troubleshooting hints, etc.

Follow us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/snom.VoIP.phones>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/snom>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/snomvoip>, Linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1773766>

Sitz/Domicile: Wittestr. 30 G, 13509 Berlin, Germany
Handelsregistereintrag/Register of Corporations entry: Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 61842 B
Vorstand/Executive Board: Dr. Michael Knieling, Usman Tahir
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Stefan Friese

snom technology AG<http://www.snom.com>