Changing wireless configurations without restarting hostapd

Heming Wen heming.wen at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 10 11:04:46 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to hostapd. For an university research project, we need to be able to dynamically change certain wireless configurations (channel, power, adding new SSID) without restarting hostapd and resetting the existing connections. Currently, when we want to apply the changes, we have to restart the entire hostpd and this will disassociate  all the associated clients. Is there a way to make potentially minor wireless configuration modifications without restarting and resetting everything? If not, then is this more a driver-related limitation or a hostapd-related limitation? Are there any ongoing efforts to achieve what I just described?

Thank you,
Heming