[PROPOSAL] Add hostapd.conf parameter to skip checkforneighboring BSS (prevent fallback in 150Mb mode)

Valeriy Kucherenko darkside_ua at ukr.net
Thu Mar 1 15:31:03 EST 2012

Hello.
See comments below.

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:05:25PM +0200, Valeriy Kucherenko wrote:
> > So, is it possible to make such config parameter?
> >
> > Btw, I have sent you scan results 2 weeks ago. Have you received email/message?
>
> Could you please answer the part of which channel(pri/sec) you are
> trying to use? The screenshot of scan results showed APs on channel
> 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, and 13+9, so I would assume you are looking at use of
> 40 MHz channel on 2.4 GHz band. I would also like to see debug log from
> hostapd showing why it disables 40 MHz use.

Debug log I have sent directly to you.

> If your configuration is trying to use some other primary channel than
> 13, I would suggest trying to use the same parameters as the other 40
> MHz BSS was using (I would assume that 13+9 meant channel 13 with
> HT40-).

You. I'm on HT40- at primary 13 and secondary 9 because
other frequencies are totally in use.

> In general, I would prefer to get hostapd closer to the 20/40 coex rules
> described in IEEE 802.11 rather than providing mechanism for ignoring
> these rules. They were added for a good reason and it would be better to
> promote responsible use of the shared radio resource.

I'm fully agree that follow described by standart rules is the right way. But
what I'm suppose to do? Why I should work at lower speeds because my dumb neighbors
even don't know what is WI-FI, they just know that "we have an internet without wire".
And I think that I'm not alone with such problem (at least in ex-USSR countries).
That's why I'm proposing to skip scan for neighboring BSSes configurable (and disabled by default).

Btw, I have notices that even AP works at 300mbps, after some time that fallback to 150mbps and
restore 300mbps only after hostapd restart. Maybe this is a problem of Win7 Intel Centrino drivers?