hostapd with WPS/PBC setup has problems with Win7 clients

Mustafa Yücel yuecel at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 14 14:22:34 EST 2012

Hi,

I try since a few days to get the push-button-connect feature working,
only with partial success. the PBC setup works with my Android table as
client, but I have troubles with Win7 clients (tested with a up-to-date
Win7 handheld and a up-to-date Win7 laptop), I get the whole time this
window:
http://www.dlink.cc/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/win7-wireless5.jpg
instead of this:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/upl/image0011300383261594.jpg

hostapd is running on Linux (Angstrom distribution on Gumstix Overo
platform, wifi driver is wl12xx, kernel version: 3.0)

I tested as far the following versions:

a) release 0.7.3
b) hostap.git 83fa07226debc2f7082b6ccd62dbb1cd47c30472
c) hostap-1.git c9522b94c77733fcac8ebaed4ca71d2e0365b1cf

pbc_in_m1 was intruduced with b), CONFIG_WPS2 with c)

hostapd compiled with these flags enabled:
CONFIG_WPS=y
CONFIG_WPS2=y
CONFIG_WPS_UPNP=y

it would help me much if someone could send me a PBC-ready hostapd.conf
working with Win7 clients, or point me to other helping directions...

my actual /etc/hostapd.conf:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=test
channel=7
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
ap_isolate=1
wpa=3
wpa_psk_file=/etc/hostapd.psk
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
wps_state=2
ap_setup_locked=1
pbc_in_m1=1
device_name=xxxx
manufacturer=xxx
model_name=xxx
model_number=1
serial_number=1
device_type=6-0050F204-1
config_methods=push_button physical_push_button virtual_push_button
eap_server=1

thanks,
Musti