wpa_supplicant in ad-hoc mode, using wpa on a Linux 3 kernel

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Apr 14 13:59:47 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:19:43AM +0200, Kees-Jan Hermans wrote:
> Is it at all possible ? iwconfig and kismet confirm that I keep sending
> in plaintext mode, even when I set a 'psk' in the wpa_supplicant config.

This depends on the driver.. With some, WPA-None may work, with other,
it doesn't. That said, I would not recommend using WPA-None
(key_mgmt=WPA-NONE) at all. If you really need to use IBSS and need
security, using proper RSN (proto=RSN, key_mgmt=WPA-PSK, pairwise=CCMP)
would be more robust mechanism. Though, the same problem of this not
working with many drivers is still there.