Queries on P2P NoA API

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Feb 6 06:26:03 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 11:42:55AM +0000, Mr MILIND BEDARE wrote:
> I was looking at the new driver interface changes for accommodating p2p specific
> NoA power management features and I have a few queries on this.
>
> 1. The set_noa( ) function takes only 3 parameters count, start and duration.
> This is sufficient But it misses the interval parameter. Is it assumed that NOA
> interval will always be 1 beacon interval? Will it be better to add a new
> parameter?

Please note that this interface is for testing purposes and for normal
operations, I would expect the kernel code (mac80211/driver/firmware) to
figure out what parameters are to be used based on what concurrent
operations are sharing the radio.

For this command (and most use cases for that matter), NoA interval is
assumed to be identical with the Beacon interval of the GO.

> 2. Also, I can see the NOA attribute in P2P IE is being modified in case of
> presence request. But for normal NoA operation the same is not true. So, for
> normal NoA, the driver must make sure to update the NoA attribute in P2P IE of
> beacon/probe response. Is this corrcet?

Yes, with the caveat that it may also be firmware or some other part in
the kernel that driver.

> 3. Similarly on P2P client, any change in NoA attribute of the P2P GO will be
> monitored and acted upon by the mac/driver. Hostapd/supplicant has no role to
> play here. Is this so? In that case set_noa() will only be used in P2P GO.

Correct. set_noa() is only for testing and only on P2P GO.