Question about P2P persistant groups

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 13:00:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 18:41 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 02:32:22PM +0200, Fabien Marotte wrote:
> > I saw that the persistant group infos are not saved if I kill and
> > restart wpa_supplicant. So I wonder if it's a missing feature or a
> > choice to do that.
>
> You need to enable configuration file updates for that to work (add
> update_config=1).
>
> > If it is a choice does it means that a higher level application should
> > manage persistant group infos (eg connman or NetworkManager) ?
> > In that case, what is the API function to retrieve group info and set it
> > again ? p2p_group_add ? (even if I don't think this is the right function)
>
> These are stored as network configuration blocks, but it may not be that
> easy to retrieve them (or well, especially the passphrase part).

Given that the higher-level manager is usually storing the connection
information elsewhere (since it needs to store IPv4, proxy, IPv6, and
other stuff in the same place as the wifi settings) it probably makes
sense to save persistent information about P2P stuff with the higher
level connection manager as well.  At least the supplicant should
provide that capability, which I'm pretty sure it already does through
the calls to get network properties.  We'd need to make sure that when
the supplicant *does* change the persistent P2P info in it's config that
it sends a signal over the D-Bus control interface or socket control
interface so that the higher levels know they need to read that info and
save it.

Dan