single radio interface, BSS count 2

green greenfreedom10 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:34:49 EST 2010

I am using the latest git hostapd on a Soekris net5501 running Debian Squeeze
and 2.6.30.  The wireless card uses the ath9k driver.

I would like to provide 2 wireless networks, one open, one WPA2.

The first (open) network works fine, but when I add the second (no wpa set
up yet) I get:
BSS count 2, BSSID mask ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:fe (1 bits)
Invalid BSSID mask ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:fe for start address 00:21:91:01:11:6f.
Start address must be the first address in the block (i.e., addr AND mask == addr).
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.

Here is my hostapd.conf:
#### start
interface=wlan0
bridge=br0
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=3
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=staff
ssid=Welcome
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
channel=8
beacon_int=100
max_num_sta=255
rts_threshold=2347
fragm_threshold=2346
macaddr_acl=0
accept_mac_file=/etc/hostapd/hostapd.accept
deny_mac_file=/etc/hostapd/hostapd.deny
wme_ac_bk_cwmin=4
wme_ac_bk_cwmax=10
wme_ac_bk_aifs=7