not able to connect to local wireless with wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Feb 17 11:34:43 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:42:54PM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:

> but being back at home i changed my wpa_supplicant.conf to connect to my
> open network here and used:
>
> network={
> 	ssid="OpenWrt"
> 	key_mgmt=NONE
> }
>
> the result of that was (when running with -ddd):
>
> http://mister-muffin.de/p/Ypwe
>
> which is the output created in a fraction of a second as i hit ctrl+c as
> fast as i could after executing ./wpa_supplicant

Are you sure you don't have anything else running on the system and
trying to control the wireless card? The debug log indicates that
wpa_supplicant did not try to connect event once and the driver was just
reporting associations all the time and wpa_supplicant asking it to
disconnect when the network that the driver associated with was not
configured. wpa_supplicant cannot really do much about a driver that
does not behave (or about another application trying to connect at the
same time, using the same wlan card).

If there is nothing else controlling the driver, you could try running
"iwconfig wlan0 essid not-in-scan-results" before starting
wpa_supplicant and see what happens after that. If the driver is still
trying to connect with the other network, I would assume that something
ended up reconfiguring it.. Since you seem to be using cfg80211-based
driver, it could also be worthwhile to test -Dnl80211 instead of
-Dwext.