New cipher in RSN IE

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Nov 27 03:36:03 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 09:47:40AM +0530, alan furlong wrote:

> I am using hostapd-0.6.9 with madwifi(0.9.4) on Linux Fedora. I intend
> to introduce a new cipher using suite type anything between 6-255
> (reserved), so that beacons or probe response would contain the RSN IE
> with this new cipher suite type.

I would strongly discourage using those reserved values for something
that is not defined by IEEE. Vendor-specific OUI should be used instead
when defining other ciphers. By using those "reserved" values, you
easily end up conflicting with something else (as an example, the value
6 that you listed as reserved has already been used).

> Would it suffice to make changes only in hostapd code to accomplish
> above? OR I need to look at madwifi code too? I would appreciate if I
> could pointers on same.

hostapd does not take care of actually frame encryption/decryption, so
you would need to implement that in the driver.