Help with wireless disassociation

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Wed Jun 17 13:47:15 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:23:48AM -0400, Phil Black wrote:
> OK, the next question would be how to get this done... I don't think
> driver supports it, and it didn't look like the kernel had generic
> support for this either (or am I looking in the wrong spot).  I saw some
> code in hostap.c, but I thought the code in there was for creating an
> AP, not for a STA connected to it.

This would be a change in the driver and as such, this is getting
out-of-scope for this mailing list.. linux-wireless would be a better
candidate for continued discussion.

> I've dug around some more in the drivers for the card (ralink 2860,
> using 'legacy' drivers), and found some code that looks like it
> generates a nullfunc frame, but I don't see any way to just call this.
> I searched around some in the wpa code and haven't found anything that
> looks like what I want either.  Given that this seems to be a fairly
> wide spread occurrence, I'm surprised there isn't more support.

This has nothing to do with WPA. I'm not familiar with the 'legacy'
driver for ralink 2860, but if you are using an upstream driver that
uses mac80211, the code to send out periodic nullfunc frames could be in
mac80211 which already has examples of doing this when scanning and when
moving between power save modes.