[SPAM] DHCP Fails to Pass Through AP

Primary Key Development dev at primarykey.ca
Mon Apr 20 09:49:46 EDT 2009

Hello,

When connecting Windows (XP/Vista) wireless clients to a hostapd AP, DHCP
offers do not succeed.  When setting the network interface settings on the
client to use a static configuration connectivity succeeds and client
networking through the AP functions well.

A high-level layout of my network is as follows:

- Linux router running hostapd: 192.168.8.1
- Windows Server 2003 DC running DHCP: 192.168.8.20
- Windows XP/Vista clients

Following are details of the router running hostapd:

- Bridge interface: br0
- Interfaces attached to the bridge: wlan0, eth1
- Bridge IP: 192.168.8.1

DHCP is working and the bridge functions: I have confirmed this by
successfully
obtaining a DHCP lease via the notebook's LAN port.

I am using the following software versions:

- hostapd 0.6.9
- FC10(2.6.29.1-15.fc10.i686)
- ath9k

Following are the contents of my hostapd.conf file:

bridge=br0
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=myessid
hw_mode=g
channel=6
eapol_version=1
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
macaddr_acl=0
deny_mac_file=/etc/hostapd.deny
auth_algs=3
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
eap_server=0
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
wpa=3
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
wpa_psk=*********
ieee8021x=0

Is there a setting in hostapd that must be added to allow DHCP to pass
through
the bridge.  UDP works fine through the bridge, as the client can see the
Windows domain and can broadcast for clients on the domain (when connected
via
a static IP or via a physical LAN cable).

Thanks
-JASON