WPS with wpa_supplicant dbus control interface

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Tue Apr 14 12:15:47 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:40:22AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> What's the usage for 'any' in all the added calls?  What would the flow
> look like when using 'any' instead of a real BSSID?  I tend to think we
> should probably use ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff there instead of 'any' since it
> really should be a MAC address.  But does the normal config file stuff
> accept 'any' for those options?

The ctrl_iface calls use 'any' to indicate a mode where the user did not
select any particular AP and just asked WPS to be completed with any
available AP. In other words, the UI is free to either make the user
select the BSS based on scan results (in which case the BSSID is known
and should be passed to wpa_supplicant) or allow the user to request WPS
negotiation with automatic AP selection (i.e., do need to show the scan
results to the user and just pass 'any' as the BSSID to make
wpa_supplicant find a suitable AP).

For the most common case of client acting as an Enrollee, either BSSID
or 'any' can be used. For configuring the AP (client as a Registrar),
the BSSID has to be passed, but this mode may not be needed at least in
the initial implementation, if ever.