WPA IE format

Chuck Tuffli CTuffli at dspg.com
Tue Jul 15 11:15:17 EDT 2008

I believe the WPA IE is only published in a WiFi Alliance specification, but you can indirectly get information about its format from looking at wpa_supplicant's source or firing up Wireshark and letting the dissectors show you the fields. If your only goal is identification, WPA is a vendor specific IE (decimal 221) and use an OUI of 0x00 0x50 0xF2. Compared this to the RSN IE which has its own IE (decimal 48).

---chuck